While everyone is unique in their own way, there’s something we all have in common. Everyone has to use the sewage system at multiple points during the day. From washing the dishes to using the restroom, showering, and so much more, we have come to rely heavily on our modern sewage system.
While we often take these facilities for granted, any homeowner who has experienced a sewage backup appreciates a functioning system just a little bit more. These situations occur when you least expect them, and you can quickly find yourself not only inconvenienced but also facing significant costs and damage. The staff here at Mold Remediation Experts understands the various complexities involved with sewage cleanup, and we are here to help you get your home back in proper working order.
In a Hurry? Give Us A Call
Contact Us Now
Many Reasons to Choose Our Services
Even if your issue may be seemingly small, the truth is that many of the serious issues involved with sewage backup is hidden from your view. This means the problem is allowed to exacerbate slowly until you are able to notice an eventual manifestation. When you work with our staff, you have the peace-of-mind in knowing that we provide a free initial inspection.
This means you can follow your instinct and find out whether or not a problem actually exists without worrying about incurring unnecessary charges. If we do, indeed, find a problem, you can save hundreds or even thousands of dollars by preventing future damage. Other valuable services we’re here to offer include:
- Complete assessment of the problem to ensure we completely eradicate it
- Laying of protective material to ensure valuables within the impact zone are safe from any further damage
- Complete repairs to items that can be saved, which saves you money on replacement costs
- Complete repairs
- Thorough cleanup once the problem is under control
We have worked with dozens of clients facing issues anywhere from sewer backup in basement during heavy rain to drainage and more, and we understand the level of stress this can put on you and your loved ones. When you work with us, however, you’ll gain access to the latest tools in the industry. When combined with our many years of experience and IICRC certification, you can rest assured you’re in good hands.
What Causes Basement Sewer Backup
When sewers backup, one of the most highly impacted areas of the home is the basement. This is primarily because it is located underground, as are many of the components of your sewage system. This means water is easily able to seep into your basement during a backup. It’s important to understand what causes a basement flooded with sewage in order to better comprehend what you’re dealing with when this occurs. Some of the common reasons include:
- The presence of solid material in the drain can create a clog that hinders water from navigating through the system. Some of the common instigators of a clog include:
- Debris that’s too large for the drain to accommodate
- Sanitary napkins
- Disposable diapers
- Old clay piping and other outdated materials that often becomes damaged
- Tree roots that grow into the piping and cause cracks and blockages
- Excessive rain
- Deliberate vandalism
No matter the cause, our staff is here to offer quality sewer backup services. With our specialized equipment, we can help you determine just what is causing the problem and help you arrive at a solution that will stand the test of time.
What to Do When Trouble Strikes
Once a sewage backup is present, it’s not going to fix itself, so some type of action is necessary. While there are products on the market to help loosen clogs, there’s often further damage that requires an in-depth look around. Procrastination only causes further problems, and that’s just another reason we offer a free inspection to help you determine the severity of the issue. When you suspect sewage backed up, you should follow these steps:
- Call our office so we can make our way quickly to your residence. We pride ourselves in our ability to be on-site within 45 minutes of your call if you’re in city limits.
- Cordon off any areas impacted that may cause hazards.
- Remove any valuables that may be in danger of becoming damaged if you can do so safely.
- If standing water exists, turn the electricity off at the breaker and remove any valuables if safe to do so.
- Begin removing water with a sump pump or pails while you wait for our arrival, only if safe to do so.
This can be a highly stressful situation, and we understand how important your sewage system is to you and your family. That’s why we make these issues a priority.
With such a heavy reliance on our toilets, sinks, and showers, we want to make sure your backup issue is fixed as quickly and efficiently as possible, all while keeping quality in mind. When you work with one of our competent specialists, you’ll quickly find that we treat the problem as if it were our own, and we’ll help you navigate through the more advanced stages of the remediation process.
Preventing Problems in the Future
Once a drain backing up in basement has occurred, there’s nothing you can do to turn back time. However, our staff takes pride in our ability to pass on the knowledge we’ve gained over the years to help our clients prevent future problems from occurring.
We take the time to give you pointers specific to your home and circumstances to best ensure this is the last time you’ll face this kind of problem. While we certainly appreciate your business, it’s our goal that you don’t become a repeat customer. Some helpful tips to follow to best ensure you don’t suffer with another sewage backup are as follows:
- Considering that floor drains are often located at the lowest points in the home, it’s a good idea to make the small investment in rubber or wooden plugs. These can be used to close off drains during periods of heavy rainfall. Just make sure they are clearly marked if they protrude above the floor level to reduce tripping hazards.
- Consider the installation of a backup prevention valve. You have the option of manual or automatic valves. If you choose the latter, ensure you perform regular inspections to check if the valve is working properly.
- Although grease appears to be a liquid, the truth is that, once it cools on your drains, it solidifies and can clog them, so avoid dumping it down.
- Avoid flushing solid items such as disposable diapers and personal hygiene products down the toilet.
- Although many items such as wet wipes may claim to be flushable, it’s in your best interest to dispose of them in your trash can. This is because they can still become stuck in your pipes, especially if you already have a clog building up.
- Long hair is a common cause of drain clogs. If you have long hair, make sure you pick up any that remain on the drain after showering and throw them in the trash.
- Since paper towels are designed to be absorbent, it can be very difficult for your sewage system to break them down. Always throw these items in the trash after use.
- Be aware of the location of your sewer lines in relation to any large trees growing on your property. If roots are getting dangerously close, consider removing the tree or moving your sewage lines to avoid damage.
Whether or not you’ve already experienced a problem, the City of Edmonton understands the importance of employing preventive measures to reduce the chances of sewage backup occurring in the future. That’s why, in 1991, they established the Backwater Valve Subsidy Program to assist homeowners to install a backwater valve. You can find out more information on this helpful program and apply on their website.
Lean On Us
As the familiar song says, sometimes, we all need somebody to lean on. Whether you are experiencing city sewer backup into basement or excessive rain has caused you to experience sewage problems, our staff understands just how frustrating the situation can become.
From the extensive damage flooding can cause to the harmful effects of resulting mold and more, we realize how important quick mitigation is. No matter how large or small your problem may seem, we are able to get the job done. When you work with us, you can take advantage of a number of benefits including:
- Reliable service 24 hours a day, seven day a week
- Senior discounts
- Five year guarantee
You have worked hard for both your home and its contents, and we understand that, by choosing us, you’re putting a lot of faith in our hands. You can rest assured that we have credentials you can rely on as we are registered with both Homestars and the BBB.
Best of all, we have a vested interest in the community as we are locally owned and operated. We also understand that these situations often come without warning, and that’s why we offer free quotes to help you manage your budget, so call us today to get your home back on track.